Friday, October 24, 2008

Foreign influences

The photo above is of one of the delights found by trawling through the links on my Site Meter. The poem is one I posted the other day, but so far I haven't a clue what the language is. I realise I could have checked before I started on this, so I may backtrack and find out. It is, however, very interesting to see my own work in what purports to be some eastern European language - though it's probably as inaccurate as most of these online translations are.

I've now visited Google Translations and had a try at translating this page into French (in which I'm sufficiently fluent to have a clue as to what I'm reading). All good, harmless fun. I suppose.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:34 PM

    It looks like Polish to me. There's an "l" with a diagonal line through it, which is sounded roughly as a "w", as in the surname of the late Bishop of Rome-cum Vicar of Christ. There are also a couple of vowels with diacritical marks, and the preposition "w" (pronounced "v"). OCICBW....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooooo impressed, o erudite one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:13 PM

    A misspent life, I assure you (he said wissenschaftfully).

    ReplyDelete