Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Twitching, slightly.


..complete with robin.
Originally uploaded by goforchris.
The Monday before Christmas, I bought this bird table. I've wanted one for ages, but lacked the will to do anything about it. But on that particular snowy morning, having my family - half of it anyway - visiting and making things seem possible (could be because I didn't have to find a way to get the already-made-up table up the hill from the shop: Neil carried it) I bought one of the last three remaining and stuck it up outside my dining-room window.

And it's been a joy, I have to say. I couldn't have known then how long this frozen weather would continue, so that there would be even more need for the stuff I put on it. But now there's a fat-ball hanging from a corner, and I put daily doses of warm water in a tiny bird-bath thingy in the border just beside the table, and stood earlier this afternoon watching a blue tit drink the water, pop onto the table, swing briefly from the peanut-frame under the roof, pick up a seed or two and fly off. Reader, I felt positively proprietorial.

Current regulars include a pair of beautiful ringed doves, that robin and an army of assorted tits. Others, under the generic title 'wee brown jobs' come and go. I need to get more of the black seeds that they all seem to prefer, but so far so ornithological. I never thought I'd see the day ...

1 comment:

  1. Aha! I know, it sounds so extracurricular...who has TIME to watch the birds, anyway?

    But as we observe, they provide entertainment and sometimes, even a sense of peace and calm.

    And....if His eye is on the sparrow, well, I tend to think that we are merely reflecting the image of our Dear Father......

    Happy birding, Chris!

    ReplyDelete