Thursday, February 07, 2013

Talking posh

Just before I left the house this morning, I caught a snatch of Call Kaye on the radio. Should we be insisting that our children talk 'properly'? Sadly, in Scotland that tends to mean adopting a Pan Loaf accent - and, worse, using the first person of the personal pronoun regardless of grammatical context. And so it was, as I hovered over the off switch, that I heard with a crushing sense of inevitability a brief skit of a family scene. Pan loaf Mum, Glesgae Dad, silent wean. Mum: "You don't want to disgrace your father and I."

Grrrrr.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Location:Dunoon ferry

2 comments:

  1. I can't get my perfectly well-spoken and well-educated husband (Glasgow-born but brought up in England) not to say exactly that! It sets my teeth on edge but he won't change now. Sigh.....

    ReplyDelete